Jacobs School of Music to celebrate groundbreaking for new building April 8
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 1, 2011
BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana University will host a groundbreaking ceremony at 3 p.m. Friday, April 8, to signify the start of construction on the 85,000-square-foot Jacobs School of Music Faculty Studio Building.
Presiding over the event will be the Trustees of Indiana University, IU President Michael A. McRobbie, IU Bloomington Provost and Executive Vice President Karen Hanson and Jacobs School Dean Gwyn Richards.
The building will be constructed on the northeast corner of Third Street and Jordan Avenue. The facility is expected to provide technologically and acoustically superior teaching and practice facilities to rival any music school or conservatory in the world, while also marking the entrance to the university's music, fine arts and performing arts district.
The project also involves an addition to the west side of the Musical Arts Center that will accommodate about 20,000 square feet consisting of three large rehearsal rooms, a storage area, an audio control room, music technical shops and common spaces. Both additions are intended to complement the Jacobs School's existing facilities.
The new Faculty Studio Building will contain 84 studios for faculty and assistant instructors as well as seminar rooms, administrative offices, graduate student spaces, mechanical support space and a faculty lounge.
The estimated cost of the entire project is $44 million and is supported by a grant from the Lilly Endowment Inc..
The dedication will take place under a tent on the site (1415 E. Third Street, Bloomington, Ind., 47405).
A reception will immediately follow the ceremony. The groundbreaking precedes the world premiere of the opera Vincent April 8, 9, 15 and 16 at 8 p.m., commissioned in celebration of the founding of the IU Department of Music in 1910.